Monday, February 18, 2008

Valentine's activities





Election Day--thanks for a day off of school!!!

Five minutes flat!! I couldn't believe it! Five minutes! That is all it takes five children to decorate 40 cookies. I thought it would be fun to have a small number (very small number) of Noah and Brenna's friends over to decorate Valentine's cookies. They danced with anticipation as I set out the candy sprinkles and the icing. They each knew which seat was theirs and which set of candy was theirs long before I finally had them sit down.
I cannot explain the enthusiasm of these young children attacking the task at hand. They each had their own artistic style of decorating. Some piled the icing onto their cookies knowing that that was their sweet interest in the whole activity. Some skimped on the icing, opting instead to pile the sprinkles as high as possible, thinking that was the best part. And some seemed to change their tactics with each new cookie. Noah did not want me to get any pictures, so I had to be smart about my photo ops.
Valentine's day was a family affair. We decided to go to dinner and a movie together as a family. Andy and I know that our time is limited with the kids. We want to cherish every bit of it as we can.
In fact, this very fact was hit home to us this weekend. Tobin had a valentine's dance after school on Friday. He texted us to say that a group of he and his friends were planning to go to the movies afterwards and could he go. "Oh, and by the way", he said, "I will also need you to pick us up after the movie." So, Tobin and his friend came home and orchestrated the whole event of who was going, to which movie they were going, and when it was playing. Andy and I realized that there were also girls going. So, Andy and I had "the talk" with Tobin. Remember who you are, remember to follow the rules for good behavior we have taught you, and remember that the other people are there to watch the movie as well, and stay together as a group. Did we cover all of our bases? Andy and I talked about having one of us go incognito, but decided we needed to trust that T could handle the situation. Plus, I also had to take Noah and Brenna to their school valentine's dance from 7-9 (sounds kinda late for an elementary dance, if you ask me.).
So, while Noah and Brenna literally danced for two hours, T was taking a big step towards growing up; a step I, actually, wasn't ready for him to take. But he came through with flying colors. So, another phase is upon us. The phase where we, as the parents, do the drop off and/or pick up. Am I ready for this? Does it matter if I'm not?
The next morning I had an epiphany. Tobin came down stairs to thank me for letting him go the previous night. I realized he wasn't just thanking me for the transportation, but he was thanking me for the moment. I think he was thanking me for being his mom. It was a wonderful realization and made all the growing up he had done the previous night so worth it! I hope everyone had a happy valentine's day.



1 comment:

Tiercy said...

Cute post! I've hardly talked to you this week. I am glad you had a great Valentine's day.