Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Eve 2007








I sit here blogging as Andy wraps the presents he won't let me see (translated means they are for me), enjoying the wonderful lights of our Christmas tree and the Christmas decorations and scents that abound on the main level of my house. I love the peace of right now as I know the morning will bring quite a different feel.


Andy and I have just nestled the kids in their beds and I am sure visions of sugar plums are dancing in their heads. We went on the website to find that Santa had entered Florida and I am surprised that the kids actually settled down into their beds. Well, Noah is still awake, I just went and checked. He is worried that Santa will not know what to bring him as he didn't sit on Santa's lap this year. We told him not to worry, there are elves in Gaithersburg watching and listening and reporting. This is the hardest time of year for children to be good and to hold it over their heads that "Santa is watching" is, I think, sheer torture. Ahh, the creatures are stirring.... Noah has just knocked on our bedroom door to tell Andy that he can't sleep. Oh the excitement.


Anyway, I can be so distracted....


With a free and open day today (no dinner to prepare for) we wanted to do something that the children would remember. Se we decided to make gingerbread houses. What a fun activity. Everybody's came out completely different, even though we used the same candies and the same frosting. Some of us had trouble right from the start getting our house to stay together and thus the house ended up as a "candy mountain." Others were deemed too bare so the artist was put back to work to address the minimalist attitude (which I actually think derived from , not a lack of enthusiasm for the project, but rather, too much enthusiasm for the materials and thus they ended up not on the house, but rather in the tummy.) Everyone was such a good sport and enjoyed the easy banter as we sat together in the spirit of Christmas togetherness, each of us focused on the gingerbread houses that lay before us on the table. The big question becomes what to do with them, now that they are done. Any ideas? Maybe an auction on ebay? Food for the reindeer? Next year's table decorations? Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Tiercy said...

Your Gingerbread houses turned out great! What a fun blog. Your sense of humor really shows when you write. Same as you...I can be so distracted! What cute houses and a fun night.

Tiercy said...

Oh, forgot to tell you that I have discovered that Christmas eve is the easiest night of hte year to put my kids to bed. Steve and I were shocked. They even went on their own. I was planning to let them stay up until 8:30. But, after Steve's parents around 7, I think they just assumed it was bedtime. They only stirred once!