Saturday, October 11, 2008

Light the Night Tonight

Tonight is the walk!! Brenna and I are so excited to walk tonight to honor Uncle Klaus, Faith and Austin. We are lucky enough to walk with Faith, Brenna's friend, tonight. Faith is just six years old and is in remission. She is excited to carry her survivor's white balloon while the rest of us will be carrying red balloons to light the night. The balloons glow and everyone will be carrying one as we complete our walk.

Faith, Brenna, and Josie (Faith's twin)

And Austin...Austin, just celebrated his 3rd birthday last month. He was diagnosed in August with the adult form of leukemia which is rare in a child. They are unsure of his prognosis; he has a long fight ahead of him. An amazing story: One night, a stranger read Austin's parents blog about Austin's fight with cancer and learned his birthday was coming up in a few short weeks. This complete stranger loaded up his car with toys, lots of spiderman toys (Austin loves Spiderman), spiderman balloons, and even a cake and drove across state lines to make this a birthday Austin would remember!! A complete stranger!

Uncle Klaus....we miss you.

Also, thanks to current pop culture, I can tell you this as well. Do you know the story of the Ernie Davis? Ernie Davis--he won the Heisman trophy for Syracuse University, the first time Syracuse had ever won the trophy and the first time an African-American had won. He was drafted and traded to his all time favorite team, the Cleveland Browns! His dream--within his reach. But he died at the age of 23 of leukemia, never having played his first or any game in the NFL.

I know everyone has their own personal cause that they are fighting for and there are so many good causes out there. If you are able, please help me fight this very real cancer. Every little bit helps. Thanks so much.
To donate, please click Light the Night.

1 comment:

beth said...

I'll be thinking of you tonight as you walk, Paige and Brenna. Thanks so much for remembering and loving Klaus. He would be so touched. I do wish I could walk with you!! The balloons sound like a great way to "light up the night." And I will keep Austin and Faith in my prayers.

Love to all