Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The memory of almost getting the dog






Tonight was our ward's "Trunk or Treat." First we had a chili and cornbread dinner for the children before they were to be overwhelmed with candy. They were all so cute in their costumes. Brenna invited her friends Kate and Faith to come "ghouling" with her. People lined their trunks in our church parking lot; their cars were decorated with lights, ghosts, and goblins. It was a sight to behold. Brenna and her friends were so excited to go from trunk to trunk in our parking lot. They tried to "trick" me into giving them candy multiple times; Brenna got such a tickle out of it.

And she couldn't stop laughing when she and her friends Kate and Faith came back sans her full candy bag, holding the cutest white dog you have ever seen. Her name was Gracie and Bre proudly announced that she was now the Gracie's owner. Here's the story: When Brenna and her friends walked up to my friend's trunk, they saw her dog and went crazy for this little dog, hugging and kissing all over it. Bre's friend, Faith was dressed as a vetenarian and declared she should inspect the dog to make sure it was healthy. Bre went right for the kill and said, "I'll trade my candy bag for the dog." My friend, ever up for the mischief of little girls told Bre she would take her up on her offer.

The story picks back up at my car. They were so excited and I could Brenna truly see she thought she was going to take Gracie home with us. When I went to see my friend, Natalie, who owned Gracie, I told her how excited Brenna was, she told me, "Let them live in their dream for a moment. Let them enjoy it." As I walked back to my car, loving exactly where I was on that night and in that moment, I thought that my friend had given me such great advice--let Bre be excited for herself to have this dog. That was until I walked back up and heard Kate, Faith, and Brenna talking about sharing Gracie one night here, one night there, and so on. My heart sank as I knew I was going to have to be the one who brought them back to reality.

Brenna took it pretty well, but I made my friend help me. I'm no dummy. She explained how Gracie was a part of her family, but that Gracie liked to visit other families. Brenna gave her back gracefully. But not before Brenna, Kate, and Faith kissed and hugged her. As we walked back to our car, someone said, and I'm not sure who, "This will be a night to remember. It will be a memory of almost getting the dog." Sigh...


My friend with the girls. Happy Halloween!

1 comment:

Tiercy said...

So funny!! Our ward did a trunk or treat too and that was the first I've ever been too. Did you decorate your car? I did. I thought it was fun. Although almost no one noticed the "candy" tree with bats in it. Oh well.

Glad you guys had a great Halloween.