Thursday, November 26, 2009

Laughing or Crying???

Me: "Brenna, are you done in the shower already?"
Brenna: "Yes, mom and I even blow dried my hair."

Me (to Andy): "Wow, that was really fast. I'm going to go have Brenna try on her dress for her baptism; I'll be right back."

I walked up the stairs and met Brenna by her door. She immediately leaned down and said, "Mom, feel my hair. I blew it dry and...well, there's a little bit that's still wet, here, feel." Something about this statement and immediacy with which she said something as I walked up the stairs gave me a momentary blip on my radar screen. Hmmm...and then back to normal...

Until, I leaned down to kiss her freshly shampooed hair..and I didn't smell it. It dawned on me that this couldn't be the case; she couldn't have lied to me, but she did!!!

And over something so silly. A shower, seriously?

Should I laugh or cry?

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I think most kids go through a "stretching the truth" and tall tales phase. I hate it when my kids lie to me, though.

At least Brenna hasn't been baptized yet, right? Sometimes the things that kids choose to lie about does make me laugh.

I guess if we can choose to laugh or cry, we should always laugh. It's not always easy for me to do that in the moment. Brenna is so cute though. And she did blow dry her hair, right?

ann said...

I think Brenna was very creative! All kids lie to their parents at some point since it is a learning experience and part of becoming responsible. I would worry about a kid who always did the right thing and never tried to test the limits. Putting the water on her hair was a brilliant stroke!

Love.....Brenna's Grandma