Tobin has been a part of the QO JV basketball team for a little over a month and a half now. Tryouts were intense and lingered over many days. Finally, the day came when Tobin brought his jersey home and I was ecstatic! Truly, I felt like I had made the team along with him-I couldn't have been happier. He was, again, part of a school team-the best sure-fire way I know for him to have a great high school experience Somehow, because he had to fight for his position on the b-ball team it meant so much.
However, as I learned with football, QO has a great sports program; the school has so many great athletes vying for the same position that you have to be extraordinary to be the starting team among all the good players. With Tobin's team, the NEW coach, Coach Leone, kept 17 young men that are good players. Most coaches don't have a bench with that much talent. To have your choice, to know that any one of your young men will perform and rise to the challenge must be a dream. I don't think my brother had that on his varsity girl's team last year, when he had his golden season, 27-0, undefeated state champs. He had his starting 5 and then there were the rest. I don't think our coach feels that way about his team. There is just so much talent. As a result Tobin has had playing time in almost every game. Over the course of the season his time has increased. But almost everybody plays.
In my eyes, I see the coaches choice of who he plays in two sets. He has those players who are naturally gifted at athleticism; they are just all around good athletes and have finesse when handling the ball and then he has those who have been playing with Coach Griff (who comes to the games and supports Coach Leone, but can't help but still coach the boys) since they were in 6th grade and know in their sleep what 70, Delay, cutter, and 40 mean!
Tobin falls into that last category. In any other school, he would most likely be on the starting 5. He knows the plays so well and he will be in exactly the right place at exactly the right time! His defensive game has exploded. I am so impressed with how well his defense has improved. It is very rare that the player Tobin is guarding gets the ball. However, I know that Tobin wants to improve his offensive game. He usually puts up a bucket or two for a score, but hasn't done more than that. I know that his goal is to get some "real" points on the board. Do you know how badly I want that for him? Tobin, I am rooting for you! You can do anything you set your mind too-but know that you have to work for the goal, it won't just be handed to you.
 |
| Tobin has the ball on the far side of the court |
 |
| Tobin waits to throw the ball to a team mate |
 |
| Tobin passing to a team mate that is open |
 |
| Tobin is number 14, right in the middle moving into a defensive positions |
 |
| Tobin making a basket |
 |
| You can see Tobin screeching on the brakes as he gets into position. he is the 2nd white shirt from the left. |
Dad and I are your biggest fans! We love you and love watching you play!
1 comment:
Keep on hammering, Tobin. BTW, you look good in your uniform. Love ya, Poppop
Post a Comment