Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Little fireworks on our 4th




Our 4th turned out to be a different kind of 4th. It started out like it usually has with our annual ward "4th of July" breakfast at a local park. We had a lot of fun celebrating America with food, fun, and games. The kids have a great time; they jump right into the festivities and hanging out with friends. After that, we were excited to pick Tobin up from his week of caddying. We missed him and were ready to have him home. After that the day gets kind of hazy this far out. We did a little window shopping and then drove home. We realized we had an early swim meet the next morning and if they went to the fireworks they would be up pretty late which we didn't want. So, I began to say to the kids, "you don't want to see the fireworks, you really don't; they're loud and the crowds are large."(I really felt unAmerican as I was saying these things, but knew the crankiness that would be directed at me the next morning and I couldn't help myself). They didn't really seem to fight this idea until bedtime and they could hear the fireworks. Noah was so indignant!! What do you mean go to bed without seeing the fireworks. How very unAmerican. I didn't know what to do. In the middle of this, I saw Andy slip out the door, so I went out to find him and see what we could see of the fireworks. Slipping into the house, I yelled-whispered for Noah to hurry and come down! It was quiet and I heard his footsteps jumping out of bed and excitedly finding pj bottoms to put on. He ran down the stairs and I watched him run down the street and around the corner to find Andy. I loved watching him run, knowing he was running to something he so wanted to see. I was quite surprised that the others (Tobin and Brenna)hadn't come down also. So, I quickly called them down as well. So, as a family we sat near the lake close to our house and watched a few of the fireworks in the sky against a backdrop of darkness. We didn't see many fireworks, but you would have thought it was the finale everytime with how excited they were! It was a sweet moment to be there with the kids in their pajamas and barefeet watching a celebration of our country's birth. It really was all I needed in this holiday. I felt complete with it as it created a tenderness within Andy and me! Hope you all had a happy 4th.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did a good thing! I love to see the fireworks but I don't like the late drive home!

Tiercy said...

What a fun memory!