Friday, September 12, 2008

Why?

Do you remember when you were in grade school and your teacher gave you a "following directions test" and your teacher told you to read all the way through the test before you did any of the directions? So, directions 1-9 were silly things, like stand up and pat your head, cluck like a chicken, etc. and direction number 10 was "Do nothing and wait for everyone else to finish." I totally remember this test and I read everything through and waited for all of my silly classmates to do the silly acts because they weren't following directions. Well, I felt like that tonight at my back to school night. I was helping parents activate school accounts. I had a set of silly-proof directions all made up and each step broken down. And some of them still needed my help. I could tell one lady didn't even read her directions. She wanted me to walk her through every step! And I am drained.

But then there were the parents who smiled as they walked up. There were the parents who were polite when asking for the directions. There were the parents who were tech savvy and knew what they were doing! And there was the parent who had funny quips, entertaining stories and a British accent. And there was the corsage my principal gave out to all staff tonight to give us something beautiful. And tomorrow is Friday! :)

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Very clever of you. Love this post.

I was often one of the students who didn't read all the instructions. Katie seems to be taking after me, although she's an A student. Must be a genetic thing.