Thursday, October 25, 2007

Babysitting woes

Hi everybody!!

As most of you know, a couple of times a month, I am lucky enough to have my niece come and babysit my children in the morning before school. The last time she babysat, boy did she have an encounter with my darling Brenna.

The first indication of the morning was when Brenna came downstairs in capris and a tank top. My niece politely explained to her that if she wanted to wear that she would have to put on a jacket as well. Brenna, hands on hips (can you picture it!), said, "My mom doesn't want me to wear a jacket. She will only let me when we go to church or to nice events."
To which my niece responded, "Brenna, I don't care. When I am here, you need to do as I tell you. Now, please, go upstairs and put on a jacket." Brenna huffily pumped her arms and made a big todo about going up the stairs. Quickly forgetting the incident, my niece started playing with Noah; they were kicking a balloon around when they accidentally kicked each other's foot. And they promptly laughed (but have you heard Noah laugh, cry, screech, make any primal noise: it has a scream in it. I don't know where he learned it, but boy does he scream). So, apparently Brenna heard this noise.
A little while later, my niece called up for Brenna to come down for breakfast. When she finally did, Brenna came down crying, huge tears running down her face. My niece asked her what was wrong. Brenna, drew in a deep breath and let it go, "you are being mean to me by telling me to do something my mom won't let me do and you scared me! You really, really scared me and that is not nice. Besides, it is my balloon and you need to ask me if you want to use it. How do you think I feel, knowing that my balloon is being used without asking me? I was very scared."
All my niece could do is laugh!! All I can do is make the next reservation on the next plane to get the fartherst away before she becomes a teenager.

1 comment:

Tiercy said...

Wow, that is hilarious! She's no push over - good thing because she's so cute and the boys are going to be pulling her hair soon enough.