Friday, July 11, 2008

Thanks friend

Last night I had the opportunity to spend time with a friend while we (she) were/was working on embroidering towels for my children. I knew if I didn't have her help it wouldn't get done and then the purchase of the towels would have been for naught because as soon as I bought them I knew I had to have their names embroidered on them. I called around and was going to bite the bullet (price) to have them done at Things Remembered where I had had some work done before, but then they closed! I needed my friend to help me get them done so T, N, and B could use them this summer.

As my children's names (kinda the story of my life for the past 12 years) were stitched into the towels, our stories of BYU unfolded. Although we didn't know each other, we were both freshman in the same dorms in the fall of 1989. Wow! But it seemed like yesterday as we sat and talked about what made our freshman year so great. She then showed me this video she had made from the last week of living in DT. It was raw and unedited and perfect. I couldn't believe how many of the same people we knew! I was surprised we hadn't met each other! Watching the video, as the images filled the screen, the nolstalgia filled my whole being. She had the same amazing, wonderful experiences at BYU that I had had, that I want my children to have! It is nice to know that someone else gets me when I talk about BYU.

And then to come home and silently slip into my children's room, kiss their cheeks (I really wanted to bite them they were so juicy: what is wrong with me?), and place their towels wrapped in their cute ribbons on their beds! There must be some french words that explains exactly what I was feeling, but I don't know what it is. I was excited for them to wake up and find them! To feel loved. That is the best. So, you see, my friend really did me more than a favor. She helped me to feel like a better mom.

Look at the side bar for some of the comments from Brenna. :)

2 comments:

Paige said...

sniff, sniff, wipe tears...
last night was truly a gift for me.

i needed to be reminded of the sewing machine sitting in my basement, the memories of BYU and your words last night about being a mom, were exactly what i needed to hear.

After spending a week in NYC and seeing all the cute skinny and beautiful women i started falling into the trap that that is what would make me a great mom. when the girls woke up this morning i asked them, "Do you feel like mom loves you?" the little ones both said no, but you do give us chocolate milk and smiled and hugged me.
last night was great for me. consider your Vt done for the month and it is only the 11th and thanks anytime you want to sit in my basement and talk about the 80's just give me a call!!

everything pink! said...

oops I was logged in as you! That was obviously from me and not a note to yourself!!
Kristi