Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Grinchiest Christmas Tree Buying Trip Ever






Not a smile, a chuckle, nor a laugh could be found
Those five of us didn't utter one Christmas sound
Why's that you say? The usual culprits were key
"I'm tired" "I'm hungry" "I'm too busy" to find us a great tree
But off we went, in search of the tree knowing this was our one chance
We walked around the nursery, grumpy and sad, in a mutinous trance
Bumping and jostling each other, Tobin Noah and Brenna did much to my dismay
It wasn't even a cold winter's day, but the gray outside matched our gray inside
We approached the trees; naughty and nice on a course to collide
The trees, they sat, and watched ready to grant a smile
Oh, how that holiday joy seemed far away, as much as a mile
But chose a tree we did, with limited patience and fun
Our time had run out, we needed to get the job done!
Our tree in hand, we walked outside, and although not hand in hand
A little bit happier than before just like we'd planned.

8 comments:

ann said...

Your pictures belie the essence of your poem. It looked like you all were having lots of fun!!!!! The kids looked happy and you all certainly picked a beautiful tree.

Perhaps the Grinch didn't steal Christmas after all!

ann said...

I don't know where that 2:02 am came from. I promise it is only 10:02! Can this computer really think I am somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean?

What's up with that? Anybody have a guess? and FYI, it is still 12/17 here!

Julie E. said...

Your Christmas tree buying sounds just like ours this year... Nothing says Christmas spirit like my lovely 8-year-old screaming that he's going to punch anyone who sings Christmas songs. Loved your poem and the pictures - which do look way too happy.

Michelle said...

Ahhhh and then there are the Bumgardners who pull their prelit tree out of a box in the basement! Who's the Grinch now?!

Can't wait to spend Christmas with you all!!!

beth said...

What a poet you are, Paige. Very clever. What you need to bring about a bit of Christmas cheer is SNOW. We have enough to spare here in Maine and three more storms are heading our way over the weekend. I will love every inch of it once Chris arrives safely from San Francisco.
But in the meantime, I'll bet the Christmas spirit has caught up with you. Have a great one.

PS. Have you heard of or read the book entitled "The Shack?" by Paul Young. I think you would enjoy it . It is a novel about an encounter with God but one with a twist. And it is a tear jerker.

beth said...

What a poet you are, Paige. Very clever. What you need to bring about a bit of Christmas cheer is SNOW. We have enough to spare here in Maine and three more storms are heading our way over the weekend. I will love every inch of it once Chris arrives safely from San Francisco.
But in the meantime, I'll bet the Christmas spirit has caught up with you. Have a great one.

PS. Have you heard of or read the book entitled "The Shack?" by Paul Young. I think you would enjoy it . It is a novel about an encounter with God but one with a twist. And it is a tear jerker.

beth said...

Help!! I don't know why my message came though twice. Sorry about that. And I don't yet know how to delete it. I'll get Emilie to show me. ( I hope this one only comes once.)

My New Year's resolution is to really learn how to work this darn thing!!

Debbie said...

Too clever of a poem. Good for you to get a real tree.I love the smell of fresh pine. Yum. That is a fun tradition.