Thursday, December 31, 2009

Deep Creek Lake

Robin and Buff invited us up to Deep Creek Lake for the long weekend after Christmas.  We weren't sure we were going to be able to swing it with Tobin's basketball tourney.  Tobin had a great time, played well and came out the champions of the tournament.  He was so excited and I was so excited to watch him.  I haven't seen him play since last season and Tobin really has improved!  But I digress...

So, we headed up after the tournament, Sunday night.  We arrived around 10:00 to a fire in the fireplace and a quiet home with sleeping children.  My children took this as their cue and went to sleep as well.  So, it was pretty much adults only the first night with the exception of Torin, who would probably like to think of himself as an adult.  We woke up to snow, snow, and more snow on Monday morning.  It was so exciting for the children and I  must admit I loved looking out the glass doors and seeing snow on the mountain and the ski slopes. 

Tobin and Noah got ready right away for a day of snowboarding.  We are having a great debate right now about Brenna:  she wants to snowboard and I don't want her to (notice I said "I"  as Andy and I are NOT unanimous about this).  I think skiing is simply safer, not as dangerous, a little classier and Brenna isn't conforming to what her brothers are doing by skiiing, Andy says, "If it's what she wants to do why not let her do it?"  I answer this with, "If she wanted to jump off a bridge would you let her?"  Therefore, just because it's what she wants to do doesn't make it the best thing for her to do!  So, Brenna was staying home with the girls which I actually think was a great decision after it snowed and the wind blew all day long.  The boys elected not to take their cameras in case they got wet, so we have no pictures from the slopes.

The boys left (cousins and all) in a whirlwind and it suddenly felt very quiet.  I do think Bre began to regret her decision but it was too late.  Robin and I had a fun morning of hot chocolate and talking.  We really haven't had a chance to talk in a while, so we had a lot to say to each other.  We talked a lot about our kids which is always fun.  Later in the day, her sister-in-law came over to use the hottub with her daughters and friend.  We had a great time talking with them.  We heard about how her friend, Jan's daughter fell off the ski lift from a height of about 15 feet.  She is Brenna's age and really only had laughter as a response when we asked her how she felt.  She was happy to get right back on the lift.  After seeing her for a little while, I got why she would be ok with this.  She was a crazy, wild child!  She went out in the snow in her bare feet, made snow angels in her bathing suit and created energy wherever she was.  She was fun to be around and I wish they had been there for Brenna the whole day.

The boys came back that night pretty tired.  We got them Ledos pizza and the adults went out to dinner!  This was soooo nice and a great omen of things to come this summer.  Dinner, while the food wasn't that great, was a great affair.  Buff's brother came with his family and their friends, the ones we had met earlier that day.  Even though we had just met them and hadn't seen Buff's brother's family in a while, it still felt really easy to talk to them.  The restaurant had a snowlift chair hanging from their ceiling as decoration which created a lot of references to the chairlift ejection.  Before we knew it we had been there for more than a few hours and it was time to go.

We woke up on Tuesday, sad to know that it was the day to go home.  We tried to extend, but unfortunately the house was already taken for that night.  So, off we packed.  But we weren't ready for our lake trip to end.  So, we went to lunch and then looked at some homes for sale on the lake and on the mountain top.  They were absolutely beautiful and make me wish for some day....  Then we headed home over the lake and through the hills.








1 comment:

Tiercy said...

I knew I shouldn't have read this post. I missed out! Sometimes it just stinks being so far away.

BUT, I am so glad that you guys had a great time!!