Father's Day was something I had thought about for awhile! I really did...and then it snuck up on me. I wanted to get Andy the perfect gift...like always, but what was it? And like always, I was never sure. I did think of something pretty cool, but when I went shopping the Saturday before, I found out it must be a seasonal item. Darn the luck. It will be out in the fall and I will get them then....think football...think stands...think comfort...can you guess it? With Tobin going to be playing JV football I thought that the highest compliment would be to get something to make those outings more memorable and comfortable! Cushion chairs for the bleachers! I thought it was great, only they weren't for sale anywhere. So, I bummed out. I also wanted to make these awesome treats from bakearella.com, but they were so time consuming, I really didn't have the time with our Saturday swim meet and activities. They were "hamburgers" made out of brownines and cupcakes and "french fries" made out of sugar cookies.
We were in church on Father's Day talking with some of our friends. I gues the gifts that children give must have come up into the conversation (Andy was wearing darling lapel pins with Noah and Brenna's face in them). Our friends happened to mention that their son had given them a dog sometime recently and assured them that the dog had been fixed. Apparently not so, and now they had 10 little puppies in a wood shed! Andy looked at me and said, "Could we go look?" Seriously, something fun to do for Father's Day? Of course we could go! But wait..., "No Dogs are coming home with us! Is that understood?"
Andy sheepishly said, "OK."
I should have known. One look and Andy, Tobin, Noah and Brenna were in love! I was totally outnumbered. I knew the kids would fall in love with these little lab/Australian Heeler mix puppies, but I was unprepared for Andy's reaction. Of course, they were only 3 weeks old and wobbly on their feet. What wasn't to love? He immediately was giving me looks over the children's heads, eyes pleading, smiling from ear to ear to which the kids quickly caught on. What's a girl to do! I said no as long as I could, but I am tired of always being bad cop with the kids. They knew if we didn't get this dog, it was on me. I gave in. I'm such a sucker. I know what's ahead, even if Andy refuses to admit it. :)
So, welcome to the family, little Calle. And Happy Father's Day, Andy. You always wanted a 4th and now you have it; it just has 4 legs and a tail. Calle is the black one with a little white on her chest. We bring her home on August 1st when she will be 8 weeks old.
One other activity which we did to celebrate Andy was really kind of an experiment. We used a literary technique I learned about a few years ago, but really like. We all had to write 6 words (not just synonyms, but a sentence) about Andy. So that Andy wasn't just sitting there, he decided to do the same thing. I think it was hardest on Brenna, who wasn't quite old enough, but it was really fun. I thought it was a great exercise to celebrate Andy.
Tobin did several:
1. You can say jokes around me.
2. We always got subs from WaWa.
3. I get to hear coaches talk.
4. I like hanging out with you.
5. You're not embarassing at any time.
6. You can get down at Bar Mitzvahs.
Noah's were a little more pragmatice:
1. We're both a wide receiver in football.
2. I'm good tecnologically. He's good technologically.
Brenna's:
1. I love Daddy because he's spazy.
2. My daddy makes memories with me.
Paige's:
1. You bring laughter into our home.
2. Makes decisions based on kids' interest.
3. Loves effortlessly, lives deeply, laughs always.
4. Thanks for teaching me to love.
5. I love you to the moon....
Andy wrote one to each of us individually.
To Paige
1. Ninety-eight percent of anything is good.
2. Yellowish, radioactive spider, utility belt.
To Tobin:
1. Make me laugh til I stop.
2. Yeah, I know, you get me!
To Noah:
1. There when I need you most.
2. Remember junior, that was once me.
To Brenna:
1. Older but smaller, Daddy's little girl.
2. Come home, find me, hug me!!
1 comment:
Wow... I have no idea how that dog made it home with you.
SOOOOO CUTE! I can see how you all fell in love! Good luck! We have a 6 month old puppy and it's kind of like having 3 extra kids. I can tell you that now that yours is already home with you! xoxoxo
Post a Comment