"Wait, do we walk out together or at the same time?"
"Which song do we do first?"
"Let's Dance" (this is the answer and is a song by Vanessa Hudgens)
"I can't dance if I don't know the song!"
"Can we trade places in line?"
"I'll only dance if you do."
"Do you like my hair? My mother made me wear it like this!!" (This was Brenna, of course).
"Ms. Christina, can you dance with us on stage?"
I wish I could have been a fly on the wall backstage, right as they were about to go on stage. Brenna looked so darn cute, but as noted above, after I had done the two ponytails, she decided against them. I thought I had spent way too much time on them to just take them out without having anyone's eyes look at them, so I told her it was too late, she had to wear them. But in typical Brenna fashion, the minute she had her last bow, before she left the stage her hand was in her hair pulling out the ponytail holders. Why?
The dance was painfully cute until I figured out the secret. I'm not sure what the expectations should be at this age, but watching misstep after misstep was hard. I know they practiced, I know they knew the steps, I know they were excited, I know they were nervous, and I know they were performing; I just wasn't prepared for the recipe it cooked up! It seemed like they had a little too much nervousness and excitement. They seemed like they had forgotten every practice they had had. And then.....
And then....I looked at Brenna's face and it wasn't so hard to watch anymore! Her smile and her eyes were all I needed to know this was a heart stopping, moment of joy for Brenna and for me. When you watched their faces the steps faded away as something in the background that didn't quite matter. Bree was having a great time up there on the stage!
1 comment:
Great writing in this post. Brenna is so cute!
Post a Comment