Being a mother is a thankless job. Even when you have grown up kids, I can imagine it is still a thankless job. I think that is why they invented Mother's Day; it gives us a moment to be still and be thankful for mothers. I am thankful for my mother and for all of the baggage she puts up with us!
For so many years, more than I care to count, my mother has been there for me/us. And she is still there for me today, and even though I am a mother, myself, I know that I still need my mother. There are things I don't know how to do and I know that she does. But I can't tell her that; I'm an adult. I should know everything, right, ok, most things.
Recently, I went to her with a problem. I knew that if I talked to her about it, I would be able to gain an insight that would help me figure out my approach to the problem. It was a problem that I had no control over, but felt that I did. Anyway, her advice set me on a different path, and even though I am still on it, I think in the end, I will feel happier for having done this thing that my mom suggested. You know what she said; she said, "All you can do is be there." Simple. Sound. True. Working.
What was amazing about this advice is that for the last 17 years, I have been trying to temper my dramatic responses to things around me. I was all set to add to the drama of this problem and yet, there it was, my mother's advice promoting an alternative. I don't want to overstate this, but it has turned out to be exactly what I needed to do.
So, Mom, I want to raise a glass and toast to you. I love you and think you are still the best mom in the world. You turn my grey skies, blue. You turn my lemons into lemonade, and you make cotton candy out of cloudy days. I love you with all my heart and I can only say that I am the mom I am today because of the mom you were yesterday, today, and I can count on you to be tomorrow. I love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment