A family of Lindleys. All of our middle names are Lindley.
"We couldn't have Thanksgiving without crab pie!" It is so amazing to me that crab pie has come to be the dish that we can't do without at Thanksgiving/Christmas time. Buff introduced it to us, I think it must have been ten years ago, but Wow has that time gone fast! He found the recipe in a traditional Chesapeake Bay cookbook and thought he would try it out for Thanksgiving. We scoffed (I did, crab pie--who was he kidding?), we laughed, we jested, we tried, and we were hooked, just like green eggs and ham!! I should have known all along. And now, Thanksgiving wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it!! So, after we commiserated that the Colchagoffs wouldn't be able to come to Thanksgiving because of a sick child, Andy jumped in the car and headed to the store! He needed himself some crab pie materials! While he was making the pie, I was making the green bean casserole, the recipe that I discovered last year. It was nice being in the kitchen together. Although with our smallish kitchen we definitely were feeling the love!!
I was excited to be going to my mom's house because my cousins were there. Luke and Brianna came to visit for Thanksgiving. So, even though the Colchagoffs were really missed (and we did skype them in later in the evening), Luke and Brianna were a great diversion. Brianna lived with us a few years back for a few months and holds a place in our hearts! Brenna was really excited to see her. It was fun getting to know Luke better too! I never realized how funny he is.
The kids did a great job playing and we really didn't see them all that much. When I checked in on them, they were playing nicely together, mostly on electronics, but occasionally with other toys. Tobin loved playing with Jake and Brenna and Julianna were inseperable, (of course)! Noah played with Drew and Kyle, Tobin and Jake.
The kids ate and then we ate! It was very nice. The turkey was really good and the crab pie was a hit and had its place of honor. My green bean casserole wasn't as good as last year, but it was still quite tasty. I think our table was missing cranberry relish! Now that I'm writing this, I really don't remember it on the table. Of course, I don't like it so it could have been there. In the end, dinner was a delicious affair full of food, fun, laughter and storytelling. I have said it before, and I will say it again, Al's laugh is infectious and everybody starts laughing when he begins. It's fun to have that gift and I am grateful Al has it and brings it to our family gatherings.
On Saturday, Brianna came over to our house and she was able to play soccer with Brenna and Mac. Brianna has a soccer scholarship to a small school in Arkansas. I loved that she was happy playing with Brenna and her friend, because I was hoping she would give them some tips for playing.
2 comments:
Thanksgiving was great fun. We loved having all of you here and it would have been perfect if the Colchagoffs had been able to make it too. Luke and Brianna had a great time too. And yes, we did have cranberry relish--my own special recipe. Loved your green beans--they were just as good as last years!
Why didn't you skpe me?????? dang it! I could have been there. I missed you guys...especially just having been there. I think no matter how many times I come home, it just isn't enough. I love you guys!!
Post a Comment