Tuesday, December 8, 2009

*Wooden* Gingerbread Houses




I got a message from a friend on last Thursday that she had signed up her daughter for a workshop at Lowes to make gingerbread houses and would Bre be interested in doing that with her? Sure I thought, Lowes has gingerbread houses for the girls to ice; how nice and fun for them. So, I arranged for another friend to go with Mac and Bre.

Mac spent the night on Friday and we woke up to snow--big, white flakes of snow. The girls couldn't contain themselves. I quickly fixed them breakfast and off we went to pick up Kate. Walking into Lowes was fun and I could tell the girls were getting really excited as I asked for directions to the gingerbread decorating station. As I turned the corner, I saw tables set up with several people already there. I only saw one man in Lowes apron and thought surely there should be more workers here. I walked up to the man and said, "Hi, we're here for the gingerbread DECORATING class. I have three girls with me."


He replied, "Here you go, here is the stuff for the gingerbread house MAKING class" and he proceeded to give each of the girls aprons, goggles, hammers and a wooden gingerbread kit. He looked me and said, "Do you want goggles too?" Seriously, whose he kidding, he can't possibly think he's talking to Martha Stewart here.

"Uhhhh, I guess so.
As we walked to our spot on the table laden with our supplies, I tried to tell the girls, "Listen girls, you need to be patient. I can only help one at a time. I will help all of you though, you need to know that. Why don't you read the directions while I read them and get situated."




The girls had no interest in reading the directions. They looked at the pictures of the directions and I couldn't keep up with them!! They began with no hesitation! So, I decided to get out of their way and do what I do best: take pictures!!

Bre didn't really like it, but the other girls didn't mind it! I can't explain how fun it was watching those girls make *wooden* gingerbread houses!! They hammered, they placed their nails, they connected their wood together. It was absolutely fabulous. It was interesting to watch. Kate worked the fastest, Brenna was steady in the middle, and Mac was on the other side bringing up the rear! But they leaned over to give encouragement and suggestions. There was one point where Kate put her wood on wrong and I heard Mac and Bre saying, "It's alright, it will still work. You can't even tell." And with the snow falling outside it was such a perfect holiday thing to do.










Their houses looked great!!

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I just love those houses. I wish we would have gone to our Lowe's to make them. So cute!

Bettina said...

I wish I had known about this! Alexa would have loved to make a house - it's the wood version of those Michael's houses you can make. You are doing some really cool. Love the photos!

Tiercy said...

that is so hilarious!!!! of course it's wood if it's at Lowe's. i have so wanted to take the boys to the Home Depot (they do it to) for something like this. Maybe you just motivated me. They turned out cute.