Sunday, June 13, 2010

Tobin's Promotion Ceremony- 8th Grade


     Tobin's Promotion Ceremony was this past Tuesday. For all intents and purposes, he has finished his middle school learning experiences. No more math, no more books, and no more teachers dirty looks! :) I had to work all day and really the evening just came upon us. Andy and I took seperate cars to the event as I wanted to get there early and save seats (it was a good thing I did; it was over half full by the time I got there an hour early)! I thought I would be able to sit and reflect on this occasion, but I soon found friends to chat with. We talked about the day, how fast our children have grown up, and our own thoughts about high school next year.

     All to soon, Andy came in with Noah and Brenna and the program began. It started by having the 8th graders walk in and across the stage to get their certificate. It was fun to see Tobin and all of his friends I have come to know so well walk across the stage. I swear by the end of the progression, I felt like the "old mother who lived in a shoe, she had so many children, she didn't know what to do."
     The highlight of the graduation was when the keynote speaker, the health teacher, spoke. I didn't realize that the children vote a staff member to be their keynote every year. This particular health teacher wins 4 out of every 5 years. Now I know why.
     He began his speech with the words, "Don't ever give up." What I learned later was that he was facing serious health issues and believed in those words more now than he ever may have in the past. Mr. B has been on sick leave since spring break and came back on this graduation night to tell my son (and everyone else), "to never give up." That alone put tears in my eyes. Mr. B was funny, charming, and witty and pure delight to listen to. At one point, the highlight, he told the parents to sit back that this next part of his speech was purely for the kids. He proceeded to call out students from the audience and spoke directly to them. "Colin and Chase--stand up. Don't ever let your friendship fade, it is too awesome to see," and "So and So, stand up, you are a force to be reckoned with. Continue to have that confidence in yourself," and "so and so, stop eating my strawberries!" Believe me when I tell you that every parent in that audience was sitting in their seats, saying "pick my child, say something about my child." Somewhere along the way, when the kids liked something Mr. B had to say, they waved a flower they had been given as part of their entrance procession in the air. What a special night for those 8th graders to be talked to so directly in a keynote speakers speech. Never Give up. After his speech, the students began to throw their flower up to the stage as an offering to Mr. B. Where are my tissues?
     Then the awards began. I didnt' realize how many awards would be given and thought this could have been shortened. But I was so proud of Tobin for walking across that stage twice more. Once for being chosen by his teacher for his scholarship, and excellence in character! The second time was for Tobin's achievement of a 4.0 for all three years he was there--straight As. What a great accomplishment, especially since this is something that neither Andy nor I achieved! Well, I achieved it for my last 60 credits of undergrad, does that count? :)
     I wish I had some words of wisdom and understanding to share beyond a narrative of what transpired at the graduation. But really, I am just beaming with pride and joy at what Tobin has accomplished these last 3 years. And, I can face the years of high school knowing what I know about Tobin's character, dedication, and choice of friendships.


The stage after Mr. B gave his speech filled with flowers.

Mr. B talking about obstacles that will hit them like a brick wall.  But Never Give Up!

Tobin receiving his certificate for a perfect 4.0.
Waiting to be announced in the procession.
Walking to his seat.


     



    

Tobin with friends after the ceremony.

3 comments:

Tiercy said...

Oh my, I can't believe he is heading into high school! I remember the day he was born. He is such a great kid...I would love for him to come and visit!

Tiercy said...

Oh my, I can't believe he is heading into high school! I remember the day he was born. He is such a great kid...I would love for him to come and visit!

ann said...

Go Tobin! I'm so proud of you.