Monday, December 6, 2010
Skating on Air
It took me a long time to come around to an ice skating party for Brenna's 9th birthday party. But she knew early on that is what she wanted and she stuck with it. I felt there was so much that could go wrong- a girl ending up breaking an arm, me ending up breaking an arm, no fun becuase they didn't know how to skate, no fun because they weren't doing as well as they wanted. It simply seemed like a Pandora's box, but then nothing else came together and so I forged ahead with an ice skating party. I just need to say right here that Brenna has NEVER been ice skating and I wasn't sure why she would want that for her party.
Last Thursday, before her party, she was at Brownies with most of her friends who were coming to the party. As I walked by helping with the activity, one of the Brenna's friends, Kasey said, "I can't wait until tomorrow." That warmed my heart and I was glad about it. Brenna was bringing two of her friends home with her who were going to come to the party with us. I was glad to be bringing some friends with us to the party becuase I thought Brenna would have more fun that way. I also have to say that I didn't realize how excited Noah was to be going skating as well. The minute he got home from school, he started saying, "Is it time?" I did not see that coming.
We arrived at the skating rink a little early, but that was just as well. Helping 5 children into skates and wrist bands took some time. But off Brenna, Caroline, and Mack went! They didn't want to wait for the other girls as they knew they would be joining them and they certainly didn't want to wait for me to get skates on to go with them! They must have been fine becuase one by one all of the other girls joined them as they put their skates on. They were pretty excited. By the time I finally got out to the ice rink, the girls were having a blast! I actually couldn't believe that I saw Brenna in the middle of the rink, gliding along. It dawned on me that her excellence balance from her unicycle must have helped her here as well. She had the biggest smile on her face! I think all of the girls did. Only one mom had to go out onto the ice with her daughter and only one girl left the ice early because she was not comfortable, but she told me she was happy watching. And she truly was.
At 6:00 when it was time for them to come off of the ice, they didn't want to. But as they all sat down and took their skates off, I heard their collective sighs and "wow, that feels good." They were excited to head off to the party room. I on the other hand, was panicked by this time as I had called Pizza Hut twice to make sure they could deliver pizza for me at 5:45 and no later! They assured me they could and stupidly, I believed them. I spent the next 15 minutes calling and waiting and calling Pizza Hut. They told me he was lost! How hard was it to find the ice skating rink??? So, at 6:10 I walked back in thinking we were going to have to do the cupcakes first or at least sing happy birthday to her when my friends and the girls' parents were there saying, "Forget the pizza, the girls are fine with the cupcakes. We're going out to dinner after this anyway! Seriously, just do the cupcakes." I am so grateful for flexible friends and flexible girls!
I didn't call the pizza guy though as I wanted to see how long he would be lost. Know what time he showed up? Now remember, I had asked for the pizzas to be delivered at 5:45. He didn't show up until 6:22! The ice rink is not that hard to find and I think they just forgot! I knew he was in the middle, although he still had some culpability in this, but I had him return with the pizzas in tow. There was no way we could eat pizza in 8 minutes! And my friends were right, the girls didn't even notice! They were to taken with their goodie bags to realize there was even pizza close by.
It was a great party and Brenna was a happy little girl (until she found out she couldn't open her presents right away because of other plans we had going on..but that's a different story and one not worth repeating)!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Where are the pictures????? Can't wait to see them because I KNOW that you did NOT go to that party w/o your camera!!!
Ann LINDLEY :):):)
Post a Comment